Thursday, October 28, 2004

Typical day in the office

Today, I had a patient come in with a cold. After examining her by looking in her ears, down her throat, listening to her lungs, and finding nothing significantly wrong with her, I made the mistake of telling her that she had a "cold"

Her spine bristled at that, stating that she "wouldn't come to no doctor for no cold", and she demanded a shot for her condition. When I then told her that we don't have a shot for the common cold, she looked at me and said "son, there ain't nothin' common about me" and stormed out of my exam room. Another happy customer.

Moral of the story: "Mam, you suffer from a viral infection of your respiratory tract" and "here, take this phenylephrin/quafenisin combination pill to ease your condition."

No comments: