Friday, April 19, 2013

The Flu Sux

I've gotten a flu shot every year since 1993, the year I entered medical school. The first 2 years of med school are mostly spent in the classroom, so I wasn't exposed to flu any more than a regular dude. However, beginning in 1995- present day, I've been treating patients. For the past 13 years, I've worked in the field of Urgent Care, so I have been nearly constantly exposed to the flu virus. And I've never gotten the actual flu; until this year.

In November 2012, I got Influenza A. Fever to 102,sore throat, cough, fatigue & body aches. I started Antiviral medication within 24 hours of my first symptom. It took 5 days for fever to go away, and 3 more days for the aches to disappear. The fatigue lasted another week.

Then, in March 2013, I started feeling bad again. Temp only 100, mild cough & mild aches. This time I tested positive for Flu B. I skipped the antivirals this time, and I was only sick for 5 days.

I'll still take my flu shot next fall. But if I get the flu again, especially twice, I'll think hard about it for the future!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been so lucky Doc. Haven't had a flu shot on over 20 years and haven't had the real old fashion flu in more than that time, just the "24 or 48 hr. flu-like stuff."
Knock on wood!
craig

Juan Blanco said...

High risk people should get a shot. There are days when I'll see 20-30 patients with flu, so I do whatever I can to try to prevent it.