Saturday, March 16, 2013

The new Pope

I am truly excited about the future of Christianity with the election of the newest Pope, Francis I. Everything I read about this man is grand. A truly humble man, he refused to live in the mansion available to him in Argentina. He lived in a small apartment. Cooked his own meals. Road the bus to the slums to visit with the poor and forgotten. According to an article in our local paper, the Argentinian poor have a nickname for this holy man of God. El Chabon, ( the Dude).

Now, I realize that Pope Francis I is just a man. And after the media infatuation has ended, I'm sure I'll read all sorts of less-than-kind things about him.

However, I choose to believe that, like his namesake Saint Francis of Assisi, God has called this man to rebuild his Church.

No comments: